Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Baby or No Baby?

My sister is pregnant. She has been for 9 months. Her due date is today. No baby. I never told her this (and probably shouldn't include this because she reads my blog), but I think a late first baby is standard in our family. I am the older sibling, and I was 2 weeks late. Samantha, my oldest, was 12 days late. I would never wish a late baby on anyone, mainly because of how stressful it is to see the due date quickly fall into the past. And the comments you get when you are out and about. "When are you due?" "Last week." "Oh, you poor thing! You must be frantic with worry!" Yeah, that always makes the expectant mom feel better (comment dripping with sarcasm). At least I have been there, and can support her and James until Ava does make her grand entrance. And, 19 years ago, inducement didn't happen until the baby was 2 weeks late. Now they don't wait so long.

On another note, when the baby does come, Mom and Dad will drive to Portland for a few days. My mom's sister, who usually comes to help with my grandma, won't be coming to town for this event. So, Sam, Tori, Kat and I will be in charge of Shorty (my pet name for gramma). For those of you who don't know, my gramma lives next door to me, and is 106 years old. No, that's not a typo. She was born in 1902. She is still alive, still sharp as a tack, and lives on her own. Sort of. Samantha lives in her basement. Sort of. It will only be for a few days, but there is a schedule involved. She must have dinner at a certain time, and then there is the ice cream. Every night, between 8 and 9 pm, it is ice cream time. And she's 106. Don't you dare deny her ice cream. And, with me working in American Falls (about 1/2 hour drive from where I live), I am a little nervous about getting her taken care of. The girls will have to step up and help some during the day. Plus, there is the nasty topic of what to do if she doesn't wake up. That is my one main fear. And the big fear is that one of the girls will have to deal with this, and I will be 1/2 hour away. But the office is on alert, and when Mom and Dad leave, my boss will know. I have already been told that accommodations will be made if I have to come in late or leave early. I love it when people understand the importance of family.

In closing (I always wanted to say that), Ava Lillian Willecke-Bell better show up soon, because I want to be an Auntie. By the way, she will have to pronounce it awntie not antie. With my name (Andrea) the hard A just sounds stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment