Saturday, July 23, 2011

This One Is a Bit Of A Rant

I am going to preface this by saying that I don't intend to intentionally offend any of my friends, but I have to get this off my chest.

So today was a celebration of sorts in my town. Tomorrow is Pioneer Day. For those who don't know, Pioneer Day celebrates the day that the Mormons landed in the Salt Lake valley in Utah. Monday is a State holiday in Utah, and it's a pretty big deal here in Pocatello. Not surprising because our population is about 50% LDS. There is a parade and activities all over town today.

My problem is with the parade that took place 3 weeks ago. The Pioneer Day parade lasted about an hour (I didn't go, just timed it as it went past my house). Our Independence Day parade lasted all of 14 minutes (taped it, so had it timed). No one participated in the 4th parade, and everyone participated in the Pioneer Day parade. At least we have an Independence Day parade. There were a lot of years that there was nothing on July 4th because everyone was gearing up for Pioneer Day.

So why is it that we have such a small attendance for the birthday of our country's freedom, but such large attendance for a small group of people who moved from New York to Utah in the 1800's? Before anyone gets real ticked off, I am all for freedom of religion. But, is this one religious holiday, for only one religion, really more important than the holiday that gave these people their freedom to worship the way they want?

I am not the only person in Pocatello that feels this way. The local paper's website blew up with comments about how lame the July 4th parade was. Lots of comments were made that citizens need to step up and organize next years parade. I'm in if it actually happens. This town has too many people who are defending this country, or have come home with debilitating injuries and trauma from serving our country to treat Independence Day like just a day for fireworks.

I am offering a challenge to the citizens of Pocatello, ID. If you were disgusted with the content of this year's 4th of July parade, email me at wortandr@gmail.com (I know, that's kind of dangerous, but I'm serious). I have friends who want to make next year's parade last half the day if we can. We have to remember why we have the freedoms that we do, and not take them for granted. Like the freedom of speech, which I am using right now.

Again, this is not an LDS bashing post. Just a post stating my disappointment in Pocatello's pride in our country.


3 comments:

  1. All excellent point. Without the former, the latter would not have been possible. However, is it valid to expect this 50% to participate at the level much of the other 50% seemed unwilling to do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year, the main reason most people didn't participate in the parade on July 4th is that the parade organizers changed the entry fee requirements, and some of the non-profit organizations couldn't afford it. The fees were unfair, and the planning team didn't seem to care that participation was way down. Hence, why a group of citizens wants to take over for next year. And, to be frank, the parade was much larger last year, and July 4th was on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am disappointed that our entire world relies on money. What happened to including anyone and everyone without charging? I don't remember a cost being part of the parades in the past. Maybe I am wrong..Also I am very upset that no American Flag was displayed at the 4th Parade either. What was up with that???

    ReplyDelete