Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Back in the Biz....sorta.

For the past couple of years I have talked about getting back into theatre. I'll audition for a play at Westside. Maybe I'll see if I can usher at ISU, yada, yada, yada. But that's all it has been...talk. Until now. Sammee has been working full time at ISU this summer as the Company Assistant for the Summer Repertory Theatre. She called me today to ask if I would help usher for some shows this summer. Upside, free admission to the show. Downside, can't really think of one right now. So I said yes. Partly because I love my daughter, and will help her in any way I can to succeed in what she wants to do, and partly because, it's a foot in the door, and I may be able to help more in the future. Fast forward a couple of hours. Kat and I brought popcorn up to the PAC (Performing Arts Center, get used to the acronym), because Tori felt that all of the out-of-towners needed to experience Popcorn Shop popcorn. While talking to the producer, Chad, I offered to House Manage if he needed it. He said "Okay, you're on." So I am now house managing. I am not sure if it is just for Seussical or for the whole season. I'll find out tomorrow.

For those of you who don't know, 20 years ago I graduated from college with a BFA in Theatre Management, fully intending to be running a theatre some day. 20 years, one marriage, one divorce, and 3 daughters later, I had not worked in theatre since graduation. But the drive and hunger were always there. I led the Drama Ministry at church for a few years, and dabbled in improv. But I never actually got to even try to work in the field that I went to school for for 4 years. I kept vowing that I would do something in theatre, but, in Pocatello, the culture capital of the world (hahaha)? Luckily for me, a friend from college, who became a professional actor, decided to start a professional summer theatre here in town. Plus, I seem to have become friendly with the staff up at the PAC.

I know, this is not running a theatre on Broadway, but the bug has caught me again. I just hope that Sammee doesn't think I'm trying to muscle in on her turf. So tomorrow I reenter the wonderful world of theatre. Don't forget to tell me to break a leg.

3 comments:

  1. That Theatre bug has a way of itching all the time, doesn't it? I hope you have fun in your foray back into it. I am dying of curiousity to know who the friend is from college that has moved there and is doing a theatre?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miriam, that friend would be Blair Bybee. He grew up here. In fact, my dad was his drama teacher in high school.

    ReplyDelete