Tuesday, September 6, 2011

SEPTEMBER!

So I thought my life couldn't get any busier. Summer was a whirlwind of birthdays, Mom and Dad popping in and out of town, Sammee popping in and out of town, girls moving, Driver's Ed, Sammee turning 21. So much stuff in 3 short months. Now, here's September. Sammee started her senior year of college. Kat started her sophomore year of high school. My job got extended until February-ish. And, now, in 9 short days, I will take Tori to Portland to start college. Back in May when she got accepted to Marylhurst, September seemed like it was so far away. Now, it's here. She quit her job at the Popcorn Shop, which she has had since she was 14. She is packing her stuff and apartment hunting in Portland.She had her final exhibit at the local Art Walk last Friday. I have a lunch date with the head of payroll for JH Kelly while we are in Portland. THIS IS REAL, PEOPLE! My baby girl is moving away. My oldest girl will move to NYC in a year.

Now, I can look at this a number of ways. My children are leaving me all alone (well, except for Kat). My babies don't need me anymore (totally false). Or, Wow! Look what I did! I have created 2 adults who are going out in the world to do something and be somebody! It's not about if they become famous (but that would be nice), it's about how many lives they touch in the process. And, my girls (all 3 of them) touch lives each and every day.

Just tonight, I was having coffee with my friend Bobi, and this guy came in. He said hi to me, with this look on his face like "I think I know her." Later, he came up to me and said, "I'm sorry, but how do I know you?" I said, "I'm Sammee's mom." "Oh, my Gosh! I just love Sammee! She makes me smile all the time!" What does that do to a mom? Makes my heart swell with pride!

So, if you forget my name, and only remember me as "Sammee, Tori, or Kat's Mom," that's okay. That's pretty much who I am. And that means that I have done something right as a parent. If you remember my girls and associate me with them (in a good way, I hope), that's all right with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment