Wednesday, October 5, 2011

It's Over!

I will start out by apologizing in advance. This post may ramble, jump around, and be generally babbling. But, i am just going to spew my feelings tonight.

My lawsuit is done. And, I lost. My Child Support case has been cancelled. But, it's over. I can get back to normal (whatever counts as normal in my household). Here's what happened.

First of all, my whole defense was that the State required a DNA test to contest paternity, so why hasn't he done that? I even had a letter from Child Support Enforcement stating that.

So we get into court and his attorney questioned me, then questioned him (yes, he was there). The attorney got a few things wrong though. He claimed that at one time I claimed that Kat was his child. I did rebut that. Then a couple more things, and the judge made his ruling strictly based on what we said. The one good thing is that the attorney wanted me to repay all child support paid since the petition was filed, which was May. The judge denied that motion. I am not liable for any child support he has paid for Kat over the last 12+ years. Whew. I am just glad that it is over. I no longer have to deal with him in any capacity.

My only worry right now is that my income just decreased by over $400 per month. I have 2 kids in college, and one in braces, which the child support was paying for. Luckily for me, I have a good job, and, got a raise today. Which had very little to do with court. I guess it had been in the works for a couple of weeks.

So I survived a trial, seeing my ex for the first time in 15 years, and a financial downfall. And I will be okay. Sammee will be okay. Tori will be okay. And even Kat will be okay.

I haven't even really cried today. I haven't really cried for a long time. Not because I'm tough, but because I won't let myself. Maybe this weekend I will rent one of my favorite crying movies and just let go. Yeah, an evening with Terms of Endearment or Steel Magnolias might be the best prescription for me. In the meantime, I shall be Super Mom, Super Time Nazi, and Super Andrea.

If you have any questions, either Facebook me or toss me an email. wortandr@gmail.com. I'm sure I left something out.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment