Thursday, November 24, 2011

Family Defined

So what is really the most important aspect of the holidays? Anyone, Bueller? Family. I have seen a lot of status updates today on Facebook, and most of them talk about spending time with family. So what defines family?

Family (n): any group of persons closely related by blood, as parents,children, uncles, aunts, and cousins.


From Dictionary.com


There were actually lots of definitions, but that one is my favorite. The rest talked about a household of related adults and children. Meh. So, not a bad definition. When we have a family dinner, it's usually up at my parents' house, so Mom, Dad, me and the 3 girls. Unless extra family is in town. 

So where am I going with this? I'm not sure yet. But this is my starting point. Tori is in Denver with her dad for Thanksgiving. Tonight she got to hang out with her Aunt Kisha. And Aunt Harriet, Uncle Aaron, Gramma Evelyn, and a whole slew of relatives that I can't remember. and they remembered me! I experienced the same thing last year when Sammee and Tori went to Denver to visit their Aunt Jacole and Aunt Lonni. Big family dinner, and all of those people remembered me too! Punkin, Collette, Breeze, Winter. I haven't seen these people for 16 years, and I am still family.

Tonight Sammee is having a bunch of friends over for dinner. She is calling it a family dinner. These people are the ones Sammee spends all of her time with. Shasta, Joey, Lakota, and lots of other friends who I know but can't remember their names. Most of her friends have already spent time with their families and want to get together tonight. Are these people really her family? They know a lot about her, she confides in them, cries with them, laughs with them. And they all call me mom. I have more "children" than I can count. 

So now to my point. Regardless of Webster's definition, family can easily be defined as a group of people who live in your heart, and share your life with you. No matter the miles that separate you or the amount of time that passes between visits, whether related by blood, marriage, or deep friendship, family is what you make it.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment