Friday, November 11, 2011

Life Lessons

So, I have an unexpected day off from work. No, I didn't get laid off. Veteran's Day is a paid holiday for one of the unions, so the Project Managers closed the jobsite for the day. Unfortunately, it is not a paid holiday for me. But, I shall revel in the quiet, and the chance to rest, and do a few things that I don't get to normally do during the week. Working 7-5:30 5 days a week makes it hard to take care of business at places that are open from 8-5. I think I'm going to lunch with my friend Bobi, stopping by church for a bit, and basically puttering. It's a good thing that I don't have to work today. Tomorrow I will probably just live at the bowling alley. Kat has regular league bowling at 11, then a Junior/Adult tournament at 5. One of my co-workers is bowling with her. They are both excited for this.

So, for right now, I am not able to work overtime. I have worked overtime since I started this job in August 2010. It is a huge financial hit, but instead of freaking out, I am strategizing, thinking, budgeting, and pretty much okay with it. This is only temporary, and as soon as the customer gives the okay, life will go back to normal. Whatever that is. Christmas may be sparse this year, but for my family it's not about the presents, it's about family. Especially this year with Tori being in Portland. By the way, she will be home in a month!!! WOOT!!!!

In other news, since Kat's IEP (Individual Education Plan) was cancelled last November for her dyslexia, she has struggled a lot with her classes. Unfortunately, most of her teachers think she is cured. You know, because her dyslexia is like the flu. Maybe a little more like diabetes. Anyway, we have been fretting a bit, because the State of Idaho requires her to pass standardized tests to graduate. Thank you, No Child Left Behind (I won't expand on my thoughts on this, that is a rant for another time). Right now, she can't pass without accommodations due to her dyslexia. I was told that she can take a path to get an "Alternate Diploma." Basically a patronizing pat on the head to say, "you tried your best, and this is not a real diploma, but it's close." I found out last night that Idaho has no Alternate Diploma. The School district is required to offer a student that will not pass the ISATS an alternate path to prove that they have mastered the skills necessary to graduate. If they pass the alternate path, they get a diploma. A REAL diploma. *HUGE SIGH OF RELIEF!* I am still going to try to get her help to pass the ISATS, but it's nice to know that she can still graduate.

So that's my update for now. continue to pray for my finances, for Tori to find a job, for Kat to do well in school, and for Sammee to graduate in May. Thank you all for reading my blog and for supporting me. And a special thank you to all the people who have served and are still serving our country. Your sacrifice is what keeps us free!


No comments:

Post a Comment